Students in Cafe

Apply for Financial Aid

How do I apply for financial aid?

  • Apply for a federal PIN. Use your PIN to access your personal records and electronically sign federal student aid documents. If you are a dependent student, a parent must also obtain a PIN to provide their signature on the financial aid application.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and always provide an Email account.
  • Watch your Email for your Student Aid Report (SAR).
  • Contact us if you need more help.
  • Create a FSA ID this can be done by going to website Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Use your ID to access your personal records and electronically sign federal student aid documents. If you are a dependent student, a parent must also obtain a FSA ID to provide their signature on the financial aid application.


When you submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you are automatically considered for government need-based grants. Grant programs provide free money to eligible HCTC students who maintain satisfactory academic progress. The following are the most widely used grant programs by HCTC students:

  • Pell Grant: These grants are given by the federal government through the US Department of Education. Eligible students enrolled in college and making academic progress will never have to repay a Pell grant.
  • CAP Grant: College Access Program (CAP) grants are awarded to Kentucky residents enrolled in at least six semester hours (half time). To qualify for a CAP Grant, the total Expected Family Contribution (EFC) toward your educational expenses cannot exceed $3,850. The Kentucky priority deadline to apply for the CAP grant is March 15. You may login to KHEAA's Zip Access and view your account to see if you received the CAP grant or any additional state scholarships. You are not required to pay back a CAP grant.
  • FSEOG Grant: Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) are for undergraduates with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC). You are not required to pay back an FSEOG after you graduate. Not every Pell grant eligible student will receive an FSEOG. Students at Hazard Community and Technical College will be awarded an FSEOG based on availability of funds.

Federal Work-Study

Based on financial need, the Federal College Work-Study Program can provide you a job, allowing you to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study whenever possible.

If you are interested in a work-study position, you must visit the Financial Aid Office at the Hazard or Lees College Campus to begin the process. Your Federal College Work-Study wages will be at least the current federal minimum wage. Your total Federal College award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and the program funding level for the academic year.

For more information about Federal Work-Study opportunities, please contact Sandy Campbell at (606) 487-3646.


Federal loans are the largest source of student loans available and with more favorable terms than private loans; therefore, you should try to obtain federal loans before private whenever possible.

The Direct Lending Program provides financial assistance through lenders to expand higher education opportunities for undergraduate, graduate, and professional students attending postsecondary schools at least half-time. Two types of loans are available:

1. Direct Subsidized Loans are based on financial need. The government will pay a portion of the interest you accumulate on this loan and you must repay the balance.

2. Direct Unsubsidized Loans do not require students to demonstrate financial need. Students must repay this loan in its entirety, including interest.

Applying for a Student Loan

You must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and elect that you are interested in receiving a student loan. Once your financial aid file is complete with HCTC you will be offered a loan for the semester in which you are enrolled. At that time it is your responsibility to accept the offer on your Student PeopleSoft Account. Upon accepting your Direct Loan, you must visit and complete both of the following before your loan will completely process:

  • Online Entrance Counseling
  • Master Promissory Note (MPN).


We provide a variety of scholarships based on academic performance, financial need, academic program, and/or your county of residence. The scholarship office determines which scholarship best fits your need.

Applying for a scholarship

Fill out a scholarship application. Contact Carla Seals at (606) 487-3072 regarding available scholarships.

Can I apply for other scholarships besides what HCTC has to offer?

Yes, and we strongly encourage students to do so. Explore other scholarship options or check with your high school guidance counselor for opportunities.

Veterans Affairs

HCTC works closely with United States veterans to ensure they receive all benefits they are entitled to receive for their military service. To see if you are eligible for Veterans Affairs education benefits, fill out an online application. You will receive a letter from the Veterans Affairs Regional Processing Office notifying you of eligibility.

For additional information contact Bobby Collins at (606) 487-3059 or Bryan Combs at (606) 487-3044.